Karen Young Lewis is uniquely suited to share her knowledge and experience as a mom of a medically fragile child with special needs and is a Parent Resource Coordinator for Cobb and Douglas Counties.
Karen serves and has served a variety of positions nationally, within the state and locally supporting the Children and Youth with Needs community.
Listed below are a few:
- Member-At-Large – Division for Early Childhood (DEC)
- TA Consultant for the Early Childhood Intervention Personnel Development Equity Center
- Chair of the Georgia State Interagency Coordinating Council (SICC)
- Secretary of the Cobb Douglas Local Interagency Coordinating Council (LICC)
- Parent Resource Coordinator for Babies Can’t Wait in Cobb/Douglas
- Member of the Parent Engagement Committee for Cobb County Schools.
- Former BCW Parent Educator working with SCEIs (Skilled Credentialed Early Interventionists) in Georgia.
- Member of the NICU Advisory Board at Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta/Scottish Rite where she mentors families in NICU dealing with extensive health issues, strategizes with CHOA/Scottish Rite to enhance diverse family experiences and minimize parent trauma as well as work with families and nurses to create a better understanding/relationship.
- Board member of Cam and Maddie’s Promise (CAMP)
- Former member of the Cobb County Stakeholders for Children with Disabilities Committee
- Former member of the Quality Care for Children Regional Team as a parent advisor.
Karen is routinely called upon as a parent resource across the United States regarding strengthening family partnerships.
Karen strives to continue her growth and knowledge in this arena and is an Early Childhood Personnel Center Cohort 2 Alumni, 2020-2021 Ga.LEND Cohort Alumni and 2021-2022 Georgia Part C Leadership Cohort Alumni.
She shares information about organizations and community resources plus works to help further educate and foster the partnership between parents and support professionals to hopefully bridge the gap between home and services offered.
She and her husband, Jeffrey, are the proud parents of one son, Cyrus Stephens Lewis who is currently in the special education program at Cobb County Schools.