Course Enhancement Module Overview
These resources for higher education (IHE) faculty and professional development (PD) providers are designed to facilitate the integration of specific topics addressed by the Initial Practice-Based Professional Preparation Standards for Early Interventionists/Early Childhood Special Educators (EI/ECSE) into IHE curricula and PD content. The series includes modules for selected topics included in one or more of the seven EI/ECSE content standards. Each module reflects the practices from the ECPC Adult Learning Planning Tool with examples.
Each module includes one or more PowerPoint presentations with the trainer’s notes for use by IHE faculty or PD providers.
Sample Syllabi: Provides ideas for resources, activities, readings, and assignments aligned with the topic. For some topics, the content may be a separate or stand-alone course. However, for other topics, the content may only be part of a course. It is an example only, is not a complete syllabus, and can be modified.
Each module includes the following sections:
- Topics: This section identifies what learners should know and be able to do based on the topic for that module to facilitate positive outcomes for children and families.
- Multimedia Illustrations: This section includes short videos, video vignettes, TED Talks, and webinars that relate to the topic. The majority addresses the evidence-based practice for adult learners of illustration. Some are informational and relate to the practice of introduction.
- Learning Activities: Projects or assignments that require learners to apply knowledge and skills related to the topic. They align with the evidence-based practices for adult learners of authentic learning, reflection, guidance, performance feedback, and follow-up activities.
- Websites: Provide information and resources that relate to the topic.
- Learning Modules: Modules from other sources that relate to the topic. They can be used in their entirety or by selecting sections or content that support the objectives of an IHE course or PD content. The evidence-based practices for adult learners will vary based on the module selected.
- Glossary: Key terms related to the topic. The references and resources in addition to being the source(s) for that definition may also provide additional background information specific to the use of that term in Early Intervention/Early Childhood Special Education.
- References: Supporting literature and resources which may be assigned as readings for pre-service and in-service learners. These most align with the evidence-based practice for adult learners of introduction.
Suggestions for Use
The sections of the modules are designed to be flexible. The sample syllabi serve as a resource for thinking about the key sections and content to include in a syllabus, as well as ideas for content specific to the respective topic. The specific content in the topics, topic guides, multimedia illustrations, learning activities, and resources can be used individually to enhance existing course content.
Select a Category:
|*New* Tip sheet: Enhancing Family-Provider Partnerships During COVID-19||Enhancing Family-Provider Partnerships|
|Tips for Providers: Providing & Coordinating EI Remotely||Tips for Providers: What to say to Families|
|Tips for Providers: Providing & Coordinating EI Remotely (What will it look like?)||Tips for Providers: What will a Remote Visit Look Like?|
|Tips for Families: Receiving Remote EI Services||Tips for Families Flyer .pdf What is Remote EI
Consejos para Familias .pdf What is Remote EI? (Spanish)
|Tips for Families: How to prepare for a Remote EI Visit||Tips for Families: .pdf Preparing for the Visit
TConsejos para Familias: .pdf Preparing for the Visit (Spanish)
|ECPC Course Enhancement Modules||E-Learning Lessons, Practice Guides & Resources
|CONNECT Modules||CONNECT Modules and Courses|
|Virginia Early Intervention Professional Development Center||Framework for reflective questioning / The Coaching Quick Reference Guide - .pdf|
|Virginia Early Intervention Professional Development Center||Tools of Trade|
|OCALI (Ohio Center for Autism and Low Incidence Disabilities) (note: you must login but it is free)||Suite of Resources for Early Childhood Professionals|
|Public Consulting Group||Use of telehealth in early intervention (IDEA Part C)|
|Protecting Student Privacy
U.S. Department of Education
|Student Privacy 101
FERPA and the Coronavirus Disease 2019
|Edelman, L. (2020). Planning for the Use of Video Conferencing for Early Intervention Home Visits during the COVID-19 Pandemic||Planning for the Use of Video Conferencing for Early Intervention Home Visits during the COVID-19 Pandemic|
|CEC Hosted Webinar with Resources||Teaching Special Education Online During COVID-19|
|National Center for Hearing Assessment & Management Utah State University||Welcome to the Tele-Intervention Learning Courses|
|Lisa Dieker & Rebecca Hines UCF - Podcasts for Part B/619 Coordinators||Series of Podcasts: teaching online, inclusion, etc.|
|National Center for Pyramid Model Innovations - May Newsletter||Pyramid in the Time of COVID-19|